This cake is simply AMAZING! So moist and delicious. I got the recipe a while ago when looking through a Costco magazine and it's a must every Fall.
Caramel-Glazed Apple Cake
1 cup packed light brow sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetal oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 Washington Granny Smith apples cored, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
2 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and flour a 9x13 inch pan
2. To prepare the cake, beat both sugars and oil in a mixing bowl until very well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, mixing just until blended. Stir in apples, pecans and vanilla, pour into pan.
3. Bake for 50 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cream. Let cool. In the while preparing the glaze.
4. To prepare the glaze, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in both sugars and salt; cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Add cream and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Poke holes in the cake with a skewer or tooth-pick. Pour on the glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Makes 12 servings.